Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sundowners on the watertower

This is part 2 in the series entitled "Goodbye Children".

Climbing the water towers is one of those things that everyone thinks would be really cool to do, but doesn't ever get round to it. But not us....

I was walking home from work one day when i saw Sammy running out her gate with a bag. I found out where she was going and i quickly changed and ran to the tower. I couldn't believe Kayleigh had made it up, cos she is afraid of heights. I thought i wasn't, but then what followed next changed my mind...

JT also heard what we were up to, and soon we were both attempting to climb the LONG ladder. In my first attempt, I got about one third of the way up and couldn't believe how high it was, so i panicked and climbed back down. JT managed to get half-way up before giving up and going to play frisbee. I couldn't let her beat me, so i made another attempt and climbed half-way up. I paused briefly and then just kept climbing and taking deep breaths and then i was up!

Kayleigh and Sam were thrilled to see me. My whole body was in shock, so i just sat down for a while too scared to stand (- there are no edges, its just flat on top). Sam had brought cider, so that helped to calm my nerves, and then i could admire the view. The hospital from above.
A few minutes later, Liz appeared at the bottom of the tower and proceeded to climb straight up as if it was the easiest thing in the world. And the family was complete :)

Thankfully, Liz brought chocolate :) So between the cider, chocolate and some time to chill, I managed to recover sufficiently to have a photoshoot.


And it wouldn't be a party without Walk Like an Egyptian!:)


Climbing down wasn't so bad. The adrenaline rush from the whole experience lasted for at least an hour - it was hectic! Overall, an unforgettable evening :)


1 comment: