Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My miraculous job

I've been recently reminded of how the Lord enabled me to stay here and have a job. Here is an extract from a letter i wrote to some friends in February this year:

It is with great relief that I can tell you that I officially have a paying job here for as long as I want it! For those of you who didn’t know, for most of last year there was no chance I could stay here in my current capacity even if I wanted to. Then about September, out of no-where (haha, we all know Who brought that along) a new senior post appeared. That meant that Megan could apply for that post and I could apply for hers. So Megan applied for the senior post (and no-one else did, so that meant the post was practically hers and the other one was practically mine), but the wheels turned incredibly slowly (even slower than usual EC DOH style). By the end of November, Megan’s post had still not come through which meant that I couldn’t apply for “mine” yet. I was confused about what I should do to help the process along. One day I went to Ben (our CMO) and asked him who I should talk to (because I had so many names and I didn’t understand the mysterious ‘sacred’ hierarchy of the EC DOH). He reply was “God. It doesn’t look likely that you will get a post”. So that was a little stressful, but I know God too well to worry about it. In the beginning of December we started the process of applying for a job for me (even though there wasn’t technically one available yet). I submitted a million forms (all of which HR already has but for some beaurocratic reason needs to be resubmitted), got my finger prints taken by the local police and even had a job interview. I went home 2 weeks before Christmas with no job.

I came back on the 27th December and found out that I had an appointment letter – to a post that was occupied! Can u imagine anything more ridiculous! How do 2 people share a post?! So I thought maybe I didn’t have to work for a while – no such luck, the measles outbreak hit. The 15th of January (payday) passed with no bank transfers and so did the 31st (my old payday). Then out of the blue on the 8th of Feb (when I had just come back from a wonderful week in Joburg and Cape Town) I was paid!

No comments:

Post a Comment