Thursday, June 16, 2011

My new bed


I have been sleeping on Kate's beautiful double brass bed frame for the last year or so (because it didn't fit in her new room). So when Kate left Zithulele and took her bed with her, i had to decide whether to revert back to the single bed i used in 2009 when i stayed in the nurses' res or to make another plan. Having slept on a double bed for almost my whole life i wasn't so keen on the single bed. I should add that Kate only took the bed frame, the mattress belongs to "the hospital" (whatever that actually means) so all i needed was a new frame. Enter Roger....

Roj has been teaching himself woodwork and produced some beautiful creations from recycled wood. Living out here makes it difficult to find furniture and to transport it back (especially when u have a small car and want a big bed). So i decided to ask Roj to design a bed and commission him to build it for me. I had two main criteria: a nice headboard, and space for storage under the bed. So the bed was designed and construction began.

With Brian's help, Roger quickly built the bed. I decided i wanted it dark so he used 4 coats of woodock. The bed is really solid weighing a lot more than i do, and took 3 men to get it into my bedroom. There was a little concern (or a lot of Roger's part) that the bed wouldn't fit through the door, but fortunately it did. I am delighted with the end result. The heart cut-out is becoming Roger's trademake and i think it finishes it off perfectly. I love my bed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment